Are you thinking about learning English in the UK? Interested in an English course in London? If you are, you might need a Visa and figuring this out can be a difficult process. Fear not – is here to help!


Do you need a Visa?

If you are a citizen of the EU, or Switzerland, Norway, Lichtenstein or Iceland – then no, you do not need a Visa to study English in the UK.


Which Visa do I need?

Once you are over 18 years of age, there are two different Visas that are suitable:

  1. Student Visitor Visa for stays less than 6 months
  2. Extended Student Visitor Visa for stays of 6-11 months, suitable for English language courses

Student Visitor Visa

If you are staying in the UK for less than 6 months, will not be working and will not be extending your stay – then this is the Visa you require.

Extended Student Visitor Visa

If you are staying the UK for more than 6 months to study English only. You cannot work on this Visa.


To apply for either of the above, you must book an English course from an accredited language school, such as those accredited by the British Council.


Check out our list of accredited British Council schools here.